What's new in v2018.x
We are changing the way we do the versioning for our products to keep it straightforward and simple. The new upcoming major GhostDoc version is to be v2018.x instead of the v6 we initially announced. Going forward we will have major versions by the year of the release.
Please use the following Beta license - GDP18-69205-5F39B-0034D-B73CD-9ACE6 for GhostDoc Pro and GDE18-E8133-6DEC0-ABBB0-8D461-7A9CD for GhostDoc Enterprise.
If are you are a licensed user with a current subscription, you can retrieve your permanent v2018 license code using the MyAccount page
See this article for the Visual Editor details - Visual Editing for XML Comments
- Visual Editing for XML Comments
- New menu - Open Comment Editor - to open Visual Editor for XML Comment
- New Visual Editor commands - Insert Image, Add/Remove Hyperlink, Add/Remove Note, Add/Remove Table
- Visual Editing for source code samples in XML Comment
- New menu and VS command - Document Project - now can generate XML Comment templates for a whole project
- Support for C# 7.2 and VB 2017 syntax
- Support for Code Contracts when generating help documentation
- Support for the
<inheritdoc> tag - in the XML Comments as well as the generated help documentation
- New menu and VS command - Document File Header - allows to generate/update the file header without having to re-document the file
- Improved performance of the Document File/Type batch actions
- Introduced the Bug Bounty program - earn a license for helping us discover and fix bugs. Learn more
- The base web help documentation themes are now frameless. Original frame-based themes still shipped under new names
- GhostDoc Community edition now requires a one-time free Community License activation after 30 days of use. Learn more
- There are now two GhostDoc EULAs - Commercial License and Community License
Detailed changes by build:
- Build 2018.1.18150 RC (May 30, 2018) - Release Candidate
- Added: Visual Editor is now included with the free/community version of GhostDoc as well
- Added: Introduced the Bug Bounty program - earn a license for helping us discover and fix bugs. Learn more
- Added: The base web help documentation themes are now frameless. Original frame-based themes still shipped under new names
- Added: Added search button in all help documentation themes
- Added: Now prompt with guidance info when web help documentation search feature not on a server
- Added: GhostDoc Community edition now requires a one-time free Community License activation after 30 days of use. Learn more
- Added: Support for C# 7.2 and VB 2017 syntax
- Changed: GhostDoc EULA has been split into Commercial License and Community License
- Changed: Made changes to Community edition and license terms to clarify the personal use and eligibility. Learn more
- Changed: Modified class summary template to include the "Implements" details when the class implements an interface
- Fixed: Issue in GhostDoc Enterprise not building help documentation from command line in some cases
- Fixed: Issue in GhostDoc Enterprise when building help file with conceptual content
- Fixed: Issues for users with EN-NL code page in Windows
- Fixed: "Badly formed XML comment" issue when inserting a table in the Visual Editor
- Build 2018.0.18070 Beta 3 (Mar 9, 2018) - Compatibility Release
VS2017 v15.6 compatibility update.
- Fixed: Resolved VS2017 Update 15.6 compatibility issue - the "Visual Studio still loading the project." message
- Build 2018.0.18045 Beta 3 (Feb 14, 2018) - Beta 3 refresh
Fixed the issues reported after the initial Beta 3 release.
- Fixed: Code Contracts XML Comment sections are now rendering in the Visual Editor and help documentation.
- Fixed: Visual Editor improvements
- Resolved the "Badly formed XML comment" error when regular comments are included with the
<code> block in XML Comment.
- Now properly format the line breaks forced with Shift + Enter.
- Build 2018.0.18030 Beta 3 (Jan 30, 2018) - Beta 3 Release
In the Beta 3, we are continuing to build out the Visual Editor features as well as improvements and fixes.
- Added: Document Project feature - now can generate XML Comment templates for a whole project
- Added: Support for the
<inheritdoc> tag - for type members only in the XML Comments as well as the generated help documentation. This allows using the tag instead of copying the documentation from base members and synchronizing the changes.
- Added: Visual Editor improvements
- New command - Add Table
- New command - Remove Table
- New command - Add Note
- New command - Remove Note
- Now the tags not recognized by the Visual Editor are added back to the XML Comment when saving the edits
- Now render the Code Contract section preview
- A number of improvements that impact proper XML comment generation
- Added: /cleanup switch for the command line tool - when used will delete all files and folders in the output directory before creating help documentation.
- Added: Support for Code Contracts when generating help documentation
- Added: Added Options -> General -> 'Keep solution properties file in the .vs folder' allowing to hide the solution properties file (<solution path>.GhostDoc.xml) in the solution's .vs folder.
- Added: Now GhostDoc solution settings file will reload when modified externally or within another instance of Visual Studio
- Changed: The Cleanup checkbox in the Build Help Documentation dialog has been changed to a button. Now the folder must be cleaned up manually - this is to prevent accidental file loss when the output folder picked at an incorrect location.
- Changed: Default toolbar icon is now Build Help Documentation where previously was Comment Preview
- Fixed: Issue with the command line tool when loading .NET Core projects in MSBuild v15.1
- Fixed: The Enable Spell Checking command now turns on/off only the real-time spell checking
- Build 2018.0.220 Beta 2 (Aug 8, 2017) - Beta 2 Release
This update is recommended for VS2017 users.
- Added: New menu item and command - Open Comment Editor - with shortcut Ctrl-Shift-E to open Visual Editor for XML Comment
- Added: Visual Editor improvements
- New command - Insert Image
- New command - Add Hyperlink
- New command - Remove Hyperlink
- Editors for the
<code> blocks with encoding for the relevant XML elements to preserve well-formed XML Comment.
- New option to replace
- New option to keep single line if the text is less than N characters (default: 200 characters)
- New option to replace hard space (
) with a regular space when the hard spaces are added by the Visual Editor
- Resolved the issue breaking formatting of the XML Comment by adding leading tabs when using Visual Editor
- Visual Editor is no longer showing security messages ("enable active content") when pasting from the Clipboard
- When opening the Visual Editor now focus is in the Summary section
- Added: New menu item and VS command - Document File Header - allows to generate/update the file header without having to re-document the file
- Added: Progress indication for the Document File/Type batch actions with large number of the members to be documented
- Added: Now .cshtml and .vbhtml file extensions are enabled for spell checking
- Fixed: Improved performance of the Document File/Type batch actions
- Fixed: Issue of missing readonly VB properties without get/set blocks when generating help documentation
- Fixed: Issue related to the PathTooLongException when building help file - these now are attempted to get resolved automatically, and when fails GhostDoc shows a warning message
- Fixed: No longer show Exception when previewing an empty member comment
- Build 5.5.17181 Beta 1 (Jun 29, 2017) - v6 Beta 1 Release
First public Beta if the new v6.x - our apologies for a bit of mess in versioning here.
Also see What's New in GhostDoc v5.x